|Nat West Bank
9-11 High Street West
7 High Street West
|Cancer Research UK|
5 High Street West
The Manchester & County Bank occupied by John Sidebottom 49, a Lay Reader, wife Sarah Sidebottom 51, a Caretaker for the County Bank and their daughter Florence Sidebottom 18, a Drapers Assistant.
Glossop town centre with electrified trams and decorative street lights.
A property with 6 main rooms described as Bank Buildings occupied by John Sidebottom 59, a Licenced Lay Reader, his wife Sarah Sidebottom 61, Caretaker, married 31 years with a daughter Florence Sidebottom 28.
Manchester & County Bank Limited (branch) (W. D. Robinson, manager), Norfolk sq.(T N 135); draw on National Provincial Bank Limited, 2 Princes street, London E C 2
Photo of (left to right), old Coop building, Norfolk Square, Nat West bank and the single phonebox. Can you name any of the cars in the car park?
English Heritage Grade II Listed Building
Includes: National Westminster Bank HIGH STREET WEST. Bank. 1897 with additions 1910. Ashlar with ashlar dressings to principal elevations, coursed millstone grit elsewhere. Westmorland slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles.
STYLE: Elizabethan Revival.
PLAN: L-plan with entrance to left of main range, banking hall to right.
EXTERIOR: 2 and 3 storeys, single storey to rear. Chamfered plinth, first-floor panel frieze and sill band, second floor band. High Street front, has 3 windows arranged 1:2. All windows have mullions and transoms. 3 storey entrance bay to left has shaped gable with lion finial and datestone. Doorway to left has double panel doors, and 2-light window to right both under round-headed arches with mullion fanlights. Above canted 4-light oriel window on corbelled base, and above again 5-light window with hoodmould. Banking hall to left has 2 segment headed 4-light windows with hoodmoulds and carved stops, above two 3-light windows, with shaft between topped by rampant lion and shield on crenellated parapet. Left return has irregular 3 window front with crenellated parapet. Segment headed 4-light window to right with hoodmould and carved stops flanked by 2-light windows. To left round headed 2-light window with carved transom and mullion fanlight. Above single 2-light window and two 3-light windows, 1910 extension contains stair marked externally by staggered 3-light windows. Detailing similar to front elevation. Right return has 3 segment headed 4-light windows, and above a single 2-light window.
INTERIOR: has ornate plasterwork to banking hall.
© English Heritage 1978.
The National Heritage List Text Entries contained in this material were obtained on 8/6/2013. The most publicly available up to date National Heritage List Text Entries can be obtained from www.english-heritage.org.uk.
Photograph courtesy of Glossop & District Historical Society.
The Glossopdale Townscape Heritage Initiative funded the replacement of town centre asphalt pavements with traditional sandstone slabs. Photograph courtesy of Glossop & District Historical Society.
Photo taken in 2014 by Glossop VAH.