|Harvey Leonard's Wine & Ale
22 Norfolk Street
20 Norfolk Street
|B&M & Railway Station
Built in 1838 by Jonathan Bowden as the Railway Inn.
Kelly’s Directory 1895
Bales & Howarth, auctioneers, 22 Norfolk street
The purpose built Conservative Club was built in 1909 and probably replaced buildings similar to its neighbours.
Kelly’s Directory 1932
Glossop Conservative Club (Frank Furniss, sec), 22 Norfolk st. TN 213
Glossop Women’s Unionist Association (Mrs. A. Birch & Mrs. Wild, joint secs.), 22 Norfolk st
McDonald D. W. cheif agent for Unionist Association (High Peak Division), 22 Norfolk st TN 65
Glossop Women’s Unionist Association (Mrs. Nichols, sec.), 22 Norfolk st
Glossop Conservative Club (Jsph. Hough, sec.), 22 Norfolk st. T N 213
English Heritage Grade II Listed Building
Conservative club. 1909. Coursed rock-faced millstone grit with ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roof and coped gables with kneelers. Stone stacks.
EXTERIOR: 3 storey and basement. Plinth. Street front has irregular 3 window facade topped by large shaped gable with ball finials. Moulded first floor band. Round headed doorway to left with double panel doors and boarded fanlight in moulded surround with bracketed keystone. To right, 2 slightly canted 3-light mullion windows with blank cartouche between. At basement level 2 shallow arched openings, one with iron grille, the other with double wooden doors. Above to left inset corner balcony with openwork balustrades, stumpy column with bold capital and shouldered archway to each face. To right two 3-light mullion windows with plain sashes. Above moulded ashlar bands with frieze inscribed:- ’CONSERVATIVE CLUB’. Above large 3-light transom and mullion window flanked by lower single side lights with plain sashes, all with flat hoods. Centre topped by shield inscribed:- ’1909’. Left return has very irregular 6-window front, canted to left, with gable and tall stair tower with parapet and pyramidal roof. Off-centre doorway has chamfered lintel under shaped hood with to right two 2-light mullion windows and single small window beyond. To left single sash and single doorway. Above 6 windows one round headed and another circular. Above again tall stair windows with 2 sashes to left and 3 paired sashes to right. Rear elevation blank with 2-storey outshut.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
© English Heritage 2000.
The National Heritage List Text Entries contained in this material were obtained on 31/12/2013. The most publicly available up to date National Heritage List Text Entries can be obtained from www.english-heritage.org.uk.
Time was called at Glossop Conservative Club for the last time on Tuesday 30 July 2013, more than 100 years after it opened. Tory borough Cllr John Haken, who represents Simmondley, said: "It’s a great shame that the club’s closed. It isn’t associated to the party; it’s a separate social club, I’m not sure what will happen to the building. It was given to Samuel Hill-Wood, former High Peak MP, to become a Conservative Club." But, not only the Conservatives are feeling the impact of the closure, as several organisations used the hall, including the Glossop and District Table Tennis League.
Photo taken in 2014 by Glossop VAH.
The Crystal Ballroom occupies a large, recently renovated, third floor space within the former Glossop Conservative Club building. Originally built in 1909 the Ballroomâ€trade;s stunning Edwardian architecture creates a spectacular, functional and creative space, certain to make any event something special.