|B&M & Railway Station
|Pick a Card
10 Norfolk Street
12 Norfolk Street
14 Norfolk Street
9 June 1845 - Opened as Glossop for goods only
30 June 1845 - Opened for all traffic
Post Office Directory
Brain Henry William, station master of Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire railway
Siddall George, manager of goods departmnt. Railway station
Glossop railway station with the sidings to the left, may be 1910s judging by the 4-wheeled railway carriages?
Kelly’s Directory 1912
Smith W. H. & Son, booksellers & news agents, Railway station
10 July 1922 - Renamed Glossop Central
Wyman & Sons Limited, news agents, Railway station
Midland Counties of England Trades Directory of 1926-27
Wyman & Sons Ltd., Newsagent, Railway Station
Kelly’s Directory 1932
Wyman & Sons Ltd. news agts. Railway station, Norfolk st
L. & N.E. Railway (E. Manning, station master). T N 16
Railway poster from 1954 introducing the new electrified line between Manchester Piccadilly and Glossop / Hadfield.
English Heritage Grade II Listed Building
Railway station and former engine sheds, the latter now occupied by retail store. 1847, converted c1985. For the 13th Duke of Norfolk who brought the Sheffield and Manchester Railway line from Dinting to Glossop. Designed by ME Hadfield and TG Weightman. Millstone grit ashlar to end walls, coursed rubble to sides. Welsh slate and synthetic tile roofs.
PLAN: 4 parallel ranges, pair to left former engine sheds linked to station and offices range by curtain wall with entrance.
EXTERIOR: single storey. Norfolk Street front asymmetrical. Former sheds have pedimented gables with coping, rusticated and vermiculated quoins to left and projecting single storey block with hipped roof, 5 blind windows and off-centre doorway. To right large C20 access doorway. Main, central entrance to station has banded and vermiculated rustication, round headed archway surmounted by entablature supporting large carved lion statant with date in Roman numerals. Plain curtain wall links with office which has paired round headed doorways in recessed panel surrounds. Station block has deeply overhanging eaves with rusticated and vermiculated quoins, 2 glazing bar sashes in single moulded ashlar surround. Left return has 11-window range divided by pilasters, with round headed windows, some bays broken through in C20. Right return has 7-window range with overhanging eaves sill band and cornice. Third window bay gabled. Windows have margin light glazing.
INTERIOR: station has cast-iron columns and wooden canopy with pierced decoration.
© English Heritage 1958.
The National Heritage List Text Entries contained in this material were obtained on 31/12/2013. The most publicly available up to date National Heritage List Text Entries can be obtained from www.english-heritage.org.uk.
Rooftops seen from Glossop railway station, the area is now the Coop car park. Photograph courtesy of Cliff Hales.
Glossop (Central) railway station, sometime between 1954 (looks like as overhead power cables) and 1974 when the station reverted back to just Glossop.
Glossop station October 1983, photo taken by Geoffrey Skelsey and reproduced under Wikimedia Creative Commons Licence. In the distance to the left is Glossop Conservative Club.
Traction engine and carousel outside the train station in the 1970s. Photograph courtesy of Cliff Hales.
6 May 1974 - Renamed Glossop
Glossop Official Guide
Railway Station - Glossop Central, Norfolk Street. Tel.: 2285
Regular daily train service to Manchester - journey time approximately 29 minutes.
Glossop station October 1983, photo taken by Albert Bridge and reproduced under Wikimedia Creative Commons Licence. In the distance to the right is Glossop Conservative Club.
Glossop station 1985, photo taken by Rcsprinter123 and reproduced under Wikimedia Creative Commons Licence. The trees have been cleared from the overgrown platform on the left, which would become the one and only main platform. The platform on the right closing and becoming an extension to the car park.
The Howard Lion standing proud above the old entrance to Glossop railway station over the Roman numeral date A.D. MDCCCXLVII (1847). Photo taken by Mike Tomlinson.
Photo taken in 2014 by Glossop VAH.
B&M discount store opened it’s doors on Saturday 27 October 2018, after the Coop had moved out several months earlier.