The Glossop VAH Project
 Glossop VAH Project
 Glossop VAH

What's New

Below are the most recently added articles and photographs with links to the appropriate property page.

2963 ~ Railway Station ~ B&M & Railway Station ~ (1985)


Glossop station 1985, photo taken by Rcsprinter123 and reproduced under Wikimedia Creative Commons Licence. The trees have been cleared from the overgrown platform on the left, which would become the one and only main platform. The platform on the right closing and becoming an extension to the car park.

2962 ~ Railway Station ~ B&M & Railway Station ~ (1967)


Glossop station October 1983, photo taken by Geoffrey Skelsey and reproduced under Wikimedia Creative Commons Licence. In the distance to the left is Glossop Conservative Club.

2961 ~ Railway Station ~ B&M & Railway Station ~ (1983)


Glossop station October 1983, photo taken by Albert Bridge and reproduced under Wikimedia Creative Commons Licence. In the distance to the right is Glossop Conservative Club.

2960 ~ Railway Station ~ B&M & Railway Station ~ (1974)
6 May 1974 - Renamed Glossop

2959 ~ Railway Station ~ B&M & Railway Station ~ (1922)
10 July 1922 - Renamed Glossop Central

2958 ~ Railway Station ~ B&M & Railway Station ~ (1845)
9 June 1845 - Opened as Glossop for goods only
30 June 1845 - Opened for all traffic


2957 ~ Primrose Lane ~ ~ (1930)


This photo was taken on Primrose Lane, an area called Bridgefield were Long Clough Brook passes under the road, looking towards Turnlee Road, the houses on the right still remain but the others have been replaced with newer houses, a bit further down the road on the right would be Simmondley New Road, while the brook is on the left.

2956 ~ Spire Hollin ~ ~ (1904)


This building looks like the large house on Spire Hollin, the date stone (on the current building) between the two roof windows reads "BETHRAPHA AD 1904", Bethrapha being a biblical name.

2955 ~ Spire Hollin ~ ~ (1908)
Kelly’s Directory 1908
Beth-Rapha Home of Rest (Rev. Richard Howton, pastor), Spire Hollin


2954 ~ Spire Hollin ~ ~ (1925)
Kelly’s Directory 1925
Howton Rev. Richard (Gospel Union), Beth Rapha, Spire Hollin


2953 ~ Spire Hollin ~ ~ (1936)
Kelly’s Directory 1936
Gaunt Rev. Albion Sydney (pastor, Church of the Foursquare Gospel), Bethrapha, Spire Hollin
Elim Four Square Gospel Alliance Home (Miss M. F. Barbour, supt.), Bethrapha, Spire Hollin


2952 ~ Spire Hollin ~ ~ (1932)
Kelly’s Directory 1932
Elim Four Square Gospel Alliance Home (Miss Barber, supt.), Bethrapha, Spire Hollin


2951 ~ Old Glossop ~ Hawkshead Mill ~ (1960)


An invoice dated 19 February 1960 for 6 boxes of Jackson’s "Hawk" flexible steel belt lacings and half a gross (72) small Jackspn’s original plate fastenings, costing a total of 5 pounds and 18 shillings, dispatched in one parcel via goods train to Darwen, Lancashire. Note that Isaac Jackson offered a 2.5% discount if the invoice was paid within 7 days or 1.25% by monthly account.

2950 ~ Old Glossop ~ Meadow Mill ~ (1881)


An invoice for 287 fly bands used in the cotton mill costing 17 pounds, 18 shillings and 9 pence, about £1,500 in 2020.

2949 ~ Railway Station ~ B&M & Railway Station ~ (1910)


Glossop railway station with the sidings to the left, may be 1910s judging by the 4-wheeled railway carriages?

2948 ~ Railway Station ~ B&M & Railway Station ~ (1960)


Glossop (Central) railway station, sometime between 1954 (looks like as overhead power cables) and 1974 when the station reverted back to just Glossop.

2947 ~ Market Street ~ ~ (1915)


Was this photo of a marching band taken on the outdoor market area? The buildings behind could be the ones on Market Street (where Bradbury House is now) although the building far left doesn’t look like the Bridge Inn (12 Market Street) as it looks today.

2946 ~ Outdoor Market ~ Various ~ (1915)


Was this photo of a marching band taken on the outdoor market area? The buildings behind could be the ones on Market Street (where Bradbury House is now) although the building far left doesn’t look like the Bridge Inn (12 Market Street) as it looks today.

2945 ~ Sheffield Road ~ ~ (1932)


Sheffield Road around 1930s, with gas street lights and a tarmacadam road. Some roadworks along the pavement on the right looks new, was this for the gas street lights?

2944 ~ Sheffield Road ~ ~ (1935)


Sheffield Road around 1930s, with gas street lights and a tarmacadam road.

2943 ~ Sheffield Road ~ ~ (1930)


Sheffield Road probably around 1930s, houses on far right look 1930s in design and it doesn’t look like there are any wires between the telgraph poles?

2942 ~ Sheffield Road ~ ~ (1910)


Sheffield Road sometime between 1903 and 1927 due to the tram tracks with the Commercial Inn on the left with a water trough outside?

2941 ~ Norfolk Square ~ Norfolk Arms ~ (1961)


Leyland Titan PD2, number 3546, operating the 125 limited stop service from Manchester to Glossop with the bus stop outside the Norfolk Arms.

2940 ~ 34 Norfolk Street ~ George Hotel ~ (1990)


The George Hotel, green sign states "Fully Licenced Hotel", phone number is pre "PhONEday", 16 April 1995, when a "1" was added to 0457 to become 01457.

2939 ~ 67 High Street West ~ The Oakwood ~ (1920)


The distinctive Surrey Arms is easy to spot with its slat spire and the three latterns outside.

2938 ~ 69, 71 & 71A High Street West ~ Suedeheads / Help the Aged ~ (1920)


Numbers 69 and 71 are the three story building. The sign in front of the first floor widows looks like "DRAPER"?

2937 ~ 73 High Street West ~ Vacant ~ (1920)


Number 73 is the shop between the tallest shop and the smallest.

2936 ~ 75 High Street West ~ A&B Shoes ~ (1920)


Number 75 is the smallest shop in the row.

2935 ~ 77-77A High Street West ~ Tandori King / Paul David Jewellers ~ (1920)


Number 77 is the shop above the gentleman in the white hat, probably R Woolley the butchers.

2934 ~ 79 High Street West ~ Jones Shoe & Boot Repairs ~ (1920)


This photo is probably around the 1920s, number 79 appears to be having some work done on it, with the white sheet over the windows.

2933 ~ 81 High Street West ~ Salliemoonbeam ~ (1920)


This photo is probably around the 1920s, J Wagstaff is far right next to the railings of the Wesleyan Chapel.

2932 ~ Norfolk Square ~ Partington Theatre ~ (1930)


This photo is probably around the 1930s, Bank House on the left with the District Bank sign, war memorial in Norfolk Square and Partington Theatre, right.

2931 ~ Norfolk Square ~ ~ (1930)


This photo is probably around the 1930s, Bank House on the left with the District Bank sign, war memorial in Norfolk Square and Partington Theatre, right.

2930 ~ Henry Street ~ ~ (1930)


This photo is probably around the 1930s, Bank House on the left with the District Bank sign, war memorial in Norfolk Square and Partington Theatre, right.

2929 ~ Dinting ~ Dinting Viaduct ~ (1954)


Railway poster from 1954 introducing the new electrified line between Manchester Piccadilly and Glossop / Hadfield.

2928 ~ Chapel Street ~ Central Methodist Church ~ (1976)


Central Methodist Church, Chapel Street, mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2927 ~ Municipal Building ~ HPBC ~ (1976)


The Council’s Municipal Building, mid 1970s, photograph taken with a telephoto lens by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2926 ~ 5 High Street West ~ Cancer Research UK ~ (1976)


The Norweb Electricity shop can be seen on the left, mid 1970s, is that £16.48 for a cooker and a free Kenwood blender? Photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2925 ~ 7 High Street West ~ Vacant ~ (1976)


Finlay McKinlay’s chemist, mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2924 ~ Norfolk Square ~ Water Trough ~ (1976)


Water Trough with Midland Bank in the background, mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2923 ~ Norfolk Square ~ ~ (1976)


Norfolk Square war memorial, mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2922 ~ Arundel Street ~ ~ (1976)


Arundel Street, opposite the Friendship pub (out of shot to the right). Behind this house can be seen the 2nd Glossop Scouts, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2921 ~ 76-78 High Street West ~ Corner Cupboard Public House ~ (1976)


The Victoria Inn, Garsides Ales has been painted over as it’s now a Bass pub, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2920 ~ Railway Yard ~ ~ (1976)


Wooden hut, mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2919 ~ 49 High Street West ~ Vacant ~ (1976)


Irvine Dearnaley & Son, Paint Merchants, mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2918 ~ Victoria Street ~ Victoria Bridge ~ (1976)


Victoria Bridge, mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2917 ~ Gate House, Victoria Street ~ Dominoes Pizza ~ (1976)


Gate House and Lux Lux complex behind, mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2916 ~ 13 Jackson Buildings, Victoria Street ~ Hadfield Bakery ~ (1976)


G. H. Ward, Bridge End House, Bakers and Confectioners, mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2915 ~ 38-42 High Street West ~ The Courtyard Kitchens ~ (1976)


Garsides of Glossop, home furnishers, mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2914 ~ High Street West ~ Vacant ~ (1976)


Citizens Advice Bureau mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2913 ~ 122 High Street West ~ Skyprobe ~ (1976)


Glossop Upholstery Service shop mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2912 ~ 114 High Street West ~ Naseeb Indian Restaurant ~ (1976)


Eddie Conway’s wood shop mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2911 ~ 46-50 High Street West ~ Ayubowan / Reeds Raines / Coral ~ (1976)


Norwest Coop, some of the posters in the window read, Double stamps on Wednesday, Birds Eye Garden Peas 22p, HP Baked Beans 11½p, Lurpak Butter 18½p, Nescafe 47p, Whiskas 17p, Stork Margarine 10p, 2lb Sugar 21½p and 2p off large loaves.

There is also a red triangle with Price Check and this was a scheme introduced in Feb 76, it was a counter-inflation scheme to keep price increases for selected goods and services within a 5% ceiling. The scheme lasted for 6 months. There is also a poster about wines and spirits still at pre-budget prices which would date this photo about April - May 1976.

Photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.


2910 ~ 138 High Street West ~ Residential ~ (1976)


Cliff Hales’ photography and watch repair shop, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2909 ~ 2 - 6 Norfolk Street ~ Barclays Bank ~ (1976)


Barclays Bank mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2908 ~ Railway Station ~ B&M & Railway Station ~ (1954)


Railway poster from 1954 introducing the new electrified line between Manchester Piccadilly and Glossop / Hadfield.

2907 ~ Sumners Place ~ ~ (1971)


The Glossop flood 1971. The people in the photo appear to be sheltering under blocks of Polystyrene whilst a Bedford coal truck braves the elements, followed by a VW Beetle. Photograph courtesy of Cliff Hales.

2906 ~ 259 - 271 High Street West ~ ~ (1971)


The Glossop flood 1971. The people in the photo appear to be sheltering under blocks of Polystyrene whilst a Bedford coal truck braves the elements, followed by a VW Beetle. Photograph courtesy of Cliff Hales.

2905 ~ Sumners Place ~ ~ (1971)


The Glossop flood 1971. Photograph courtesy of Cliff Hales.

2904 ~ St. Mary's Road ~ ~ (1912)
Kelly’s Directory
Ashton Herbert, insurance agent, 42 St. Mary’s road
Rhodes George, shopkeeper, 44 St. Mary’s road
Harrison Mary (Miss), shopkeeper, 63 St. Mary’s road
Newton Ethel (Miss), milliner, 85 St. Mary’s road
Orme William, plumber, 105 St. Mary’s road
Bowden Joe, shopkeeper, 124 St. Mary’s road
Platt Martha (Mrs.), confectioner, 142 St. Mary’s road
Hall Elizabeth (Mrs.), grocer, 146 St. Mary’s road


2903 ~ St. Mary's Road ~ ~ (1936)
Kelly’s Directory
Holt Ernest, insur. agt. 32 St. Mary’s rd
Denlith Geo. insur. agt. 36 St. Mary’s rd
Bailey Jn. shopkpr. 44 St. Mary’s rd
Malloch Peter Edwd. 84 St. Mary’s rd
Malloch Peter Edwin L.R.C.P. & S.Edin., L.R.F.P.S. Glas., L.D.S.R.C.S.Edin. physcn. & surgn. 84 St. Mary’s rd. & 14 High st. west. T N 46
Fairclough Walter Peake Mus.Bac., F.R.C.O. professor of music, 92 St. Mary’s road
Orme William, plumber, 105 St. Mary’s road
Knowles Florence (Mrs.), shopkpr. 124 St. Mary’s rd
Woodhead Eric, insur. agt. 128 St. Mary’s rd
Beaumont Doris (Miss), baker, 142 St. Mary’s rd
Sidebottom Jas. grocer, 146 St. Mary’s rd


2902 ~ 2 Howard Street ~ Star Inn ~ (2019)


Inside the Star Inn, August 2019, picture coutesy of Gwilty@padfield via Twitter.

2901 ~ 17-25 Victoria Street ~ ~ (1904)


17 - 25 Victoria Street are in the centre of this photo, with the Albion Hotel left and the Theatre Royal right, sometime after 1904. Picture courtesy of Trefor Thomas.

2900 ~ 9 - 15 Victoria Street ~ Inc The Brook Tavern ~ (1904)


The Albion Hotel, left, sometime after 1904 when the Theatre Royal, right, was erected. The licensee about this time (1905 - 1915) was George E. Russell. Picture courtesy of Trefor Thomas.

2899 ~ 8 - 38 Victoria Street ~ ~ (1904)


Sydney Spence of Sleaford, Lincolnshire, well known to the London stage and the wider theatrical world, literally brought the Theatre Royal to Glossop in December 1904, on the back of a freight steam train from it former home in Hucknall Torkard near Nottingham. The building was a prefabricated wooden structure with a corrugated iron roof and was quickly erected on what is now the car park off Victoria Street next to the market. Picture courtesy of Trefor Thomas.

2898 ~ 119 High Street West ~ Tung Fong ~ (1977)


To the left of this photo, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2897 ~ 121 High Street West ~ Kathryn Jefreys The Dress Agency ~ (1977)


To the left of this photo, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2896 ~ 123 High Street West ~ Kathryn Jefreys Hair Design ~ (0000)


Center of this photo with the ladders, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2895 ~ 125 High Street West ~ The Retreat ~ (1977)


Center of this photo with the post box, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2894 ~ 127-129 High Street West ~ inc. The Ironing Shop ~ (1977)


To right of this photo, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2893 ~ 122 High Street West ~ Skyprobe ~ (1960)


Staff of the old-style grocers, in their backyard, 1960s. They sold everything by weight including butter. The owners were Mr Lynch (left) and Mr Winterbotham (right). The owner’s son Eric is also in the photo.

Photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.


2892 ~ Chapel Street ~ Central Methodist Church ~ (1976)


Central Methodist Church, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2891 ~ Chapel Street ~ Central Methodist Church ~ (1976)


Central Methodist Church, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2890 ~ Chapel Street ~ Central Methodist Church ~ (1976)


Central Methodist Church, mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2889 ~ Chapel Street ~ Central Methodist Church ~ (2004)


Chapel Street with the Central Methodist Church in the distance. Photograph courtesy of Glossop & District Historical Society.

2888 ~ Railway Yard ~ ~ (1940)


Wooden hut and railway vehicle outside the railway yard.

2887 ~ Norfolk Street ~ ~ (1940)


Norfolk Arms with a Smiths truck parked on Norfolk Street.

2886 ~ Norfolk Square ~ Norfolk Arms ~ (1940)


Norfolk Arms with a Smiths trucked parked on Norfolk Street.

2885 ~ 1 High Street West ~ Space 4 Living Estate Agents ~ (1940)


In the centre of this photo is Burton tailor shop, it appears to have an extra wall at the top with the word Burton. Also note the sun shades.

2884 ~ Dinting ~ Dinting Viaduct ~ (1910)


A colourise photo of Dinting viaduct before the addition of strengthening pillars.

2883 ~ Dinting ~ Dinting Viaduct ~ (1855)
On the night of 18 September 1855, a passenger train was halted on the viaduct to a let a returning wakes week excursion train clear Dinting station just ahead. The night was "exceedingly dark", causing some of the passengers to mistakenly think they had arrived at the station platform. From one carriage, three people left the train, stepping onto the low parapet of the viaduct, and fell to their deaths; another was pulled back from the door as passengers realised they were on the viaduct. After a few minutes, the viaduct night watchman found the three of them lying side by side on the grass in the valley. Two had been instantly killed, and the third died within an hour.

The following day, an inquest was opened at the Plough Inn, Dinting, where the deceased were confirmed to be Jane Hadfield, John Healey and Thomas Priestnall. It returned a verdict of accidental death and recommended the railway company put up a fence on the parapet of the viaduct to prevent similar accidents, and to move the signal closer to Manchester so that passenger trains cannot stop on the viaduct.


2882 ~ Dinting ~ Dinting Viaduct ~ (1918)
Again the weight of trains had increased and seven brick strengthening piers were inserted during the years 1918–20,

2881 ~ Dinting ~ Dinting Viaduct ~ (1918)
Again the weight of trains had increased and seven brick strengthening piers were inserted during the years 1918–20,

2880 ~ Dinting ~ Dinting Viaduct ~ (1859)
Wrought-iron girders were installed to replace the timber arches.

2879 ~ Dinting ~ Dinting Viaduct ~ (1856)
The level of rail traffic and the weight of the trains had increased so much that the existing timber viaducts were considered inadequate.

2878 ~ Dinting ~ Dinting Viaduct ~ (1981)
The Woodhead line from Manchester to Sheffield via the Woodhead tunnel closed in 1981 leaving only the Manchester to Glossop/Hadfield section still in operation.

2877 ~ Dinting ~ Dinting Viaduct ~ (1845)
The modern-day Glossop branch line originally opened as the Woodhead Line in December 1845, which linked Sheffield to Manchester.

2876 ~ Philip Howard Road ~ ~ (1930)


This photo taken from the top of Philip Howard Road was probably taken 5 - 10 years after the previous photo judging by the size of the trees. Note the cobbled road has now been cover in tarmacadam.

2875 ~ Fitzalan Street ~ Adult Education Centre ~ (1904)


Glossop Grammar School.

2874 ~ Dinting Road / Howard Park ~ Swimming Baths ~ (1904)


This looks like a colourised photo of the photo below or just a coincidence the children are standing in the same spot by the bridge.

2873 ~ 16 - 18 High Street East ~ Nino's / Blossom / Stepping Stones ~ (1910)


Photo taken from High Street West, from left to right, High Street East, Brownson’s (Bespoke Taylors) with cast iron awning, Hawley’s corner, ???? Stores, McKinley chemist and T. P. Hunter who apear to have a sale on.

2872 ~ 8 - 12 High Street East ~ R J Skupham / Vintage Tea Rooms / Kimberleys ~ (1910)


Photo taken from High Street West, from left to right, High Street East, Brownson’s (Bespoke Taylors) with cast iron awning, Hawley’s corner, ???? Stores, McKinley chemist and T. P. Hunter who apear to have a sale on.

2871 ~ 2 - 6 High Street East ~ Lloyds Bank / Uno ~ (1910)


Photo taken from High Street West, from left to right, High Street East, Brownson’s (Bespoke Taylors) with cast iron awning, Hawley’s corner, ???? Stores, McKinley chemist and T. P. Hunter who apear to have a sale on.

2870 ~ 9-11 High Street West ~ Heron Foods ~ (1910)


Photo taken from High Street West, from left to right, High Street East, Brownson’s (Bespoke Taylors) with cast iron awning, Hawley’s corner, ???? Stores, McKinley chemist and T. P. Hunter who apear to have a sale on.

2869 ~ 7 High Street West ~ Vacant ~ (1910)


Photo taken from High Street West, from left to right, High Street East, Brownson’s (Bespoke Taylors) with cast iron awning, Hawley’s corner, ???? Stores, McKinley chemist and T. P. Hunter who apear to have a sale on.

2868 ~ 5 High Street West ~ Cancer Research UK ~ (1910)


Photo taken from High Street West, from left to right, High Street East, Brownson’s (Bespoke Taylors) with cast iron awning, Hawley’s corner, ???? Stores, McKinley chemist and T. P. Hunter who apear to have a sale on.

2867 ~ 3-3a High Street West ~ Subway ~ (1910)


Photo taken from High Street West, from left to right, High Street East, Brownson’s (Bespoke Taylors) with cast iron awning, Hawley’s corner, ???? Stores, McKinley chemist and T. P. Hunter who apear to have a sale on.

2866 ~ 1 High Street West ~ Space 4 Living Estate Agents ~ (1910)


Photo taken from High Street West, from left to right, High Street East, Brownson’s (Bespoke Taylors) with cast iron awning, Hawley’s corner, ???? Stores, McKinley chemist and T. P. Hunter who apear to have a sale on.

2865 ~ Norfolk Street ~ ~ (1925)


Photo of (left to right) Brownson’s (Up To Date Taylors), Victoria Street, Hawley’s and the Norfolk Arms. Dated about 1925, trams still running but cast iron awning around Jackson Buildings removed.

2864 ~ Norfolk Square ~ Norfolk Arms ~ (1925)


Photo of (left to right) Brownson’s (Up To Date Taylors), Victoria Street, Hawley’s and the Norfolk Arms. Dated about 1925, trams still running but cast iron awning around Jackson Buildings removed.