Welcome to the Ghost Pub Trail & Heritage Trail around Glossop town centre taking in the best remaining pubs, pubs that have long since gone (ghost pubs) and also 19 Grade II Listed buildings / structures.
This heritage trail is based on extensive research of census records, trade directories, local knowledge and site visits. The excellent 'History in a Pint Pot' by the late David Field published in 1999 was the inspiration for this trail and is a 'must read' if you want to know more about the pubs (past and present) of Glossop.
Over the last two centuries many pubs, inns and hotels have opened, changed names and closed, in the early 1900s there was a strong Temperance movement and the Licencing Act of 1904 saw 10% of pubs close in an effort to clean up the industry by closing purely drinking houses in favour of inns that also provided recreation and food. Compensation, usually 90% to the pub owner and 10% to the innkeeper, was paid in return for the licence.
The Map of Glossop Public Houses, Inns & Taverns, below, is available in PDF format for the price of a large or medium coffee donation (see our footer).
|Real ales, fine architecture and significant heritage contribution|
|Good beer, architectural merit and heritage contribution |
|Contributes to overall architecture and heritage|
|Building still remains with significant architectural merit|
|Building still remains but not much architectural merit.|
|Building no longer standing, demolished and/or replaced |
|English Heritage Grade II Listed|
He also built the branch railway line from Glossop to Dinting after the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway Company had refused to build the branch line. Watch out for the Howard Lion standing resplendent above the old entrance
Formerly Hotel Winston, Shirill Restaurant and originally the Station Inn / Hotel. Most notable is the original window above the corner entrance. Looks like it closed in 2019.
The Railway Inn, down the hill was a pub built in 1838 but demolished in 1909 to make way for the Conservative Club, now a Grade II listed building.
The Conservative Club closed in 2013 and is now home to Harvey Leonard's Wine and Ale bar and shop with a dedicated craft beer section, draught craft ales on tap and bottled world beers and the Crystal Ballroom on the top floor.
Victoria Lounge, continue through Norfolk Square and down Henry Street to one of the few red brick buildings in Glossop.
Formerly The Moon & Sixpence and before that The Fleece built about 1846.
The Bush, was next door to the Victoria Lounge / Moon & Sixpence on Bernard Street built about 1847 and was The Carter & Motormen's Club for over 60 years and more recently The Blue's Club.
The Friendship Inn, continue down Bernard Street and cross over Arundel Street. Note the large lantern adorning the corner of the building.
A Robinson's pub serving traditional draught beer in a homely environment complete with resident cat, pub and sporting memorabilia complete the warm ambiance.
Originally the Victoria Inn (the name still remains on the top of the corner elevation) built in 1930 replacing a smaller pub and shop built about 1833. It was also (when fashionable) an Irish themed pub.
Turn right and continue down High Street West.
Shrewsbury Street contains the Methodist Chapel / Sunday School and the Glossop Joinery with attached walls and railings are Grade II listed
Continuing down High Street West to
Wren Nest Mill, now apartments and retail units.
The Junction, continue all the way
down High Street West to the mini roundabout to the
building on the corner of High Street West and
One of the first pubs in Glossop built
in 1817 and refreshed weary travellers for 193 years,
closing in 2010.
The Grapes, head back into Glossop along High Street West.
Built in 1845, the first licensee was bookkeeper John Howard, it retains a lot of its original character with two sash windows engraved with "Commercial Room" and "Smoke Room".
The Hanging Gate, continue back into the
town centre, built about 1825 this pub closed in 1960
and was demolished in 1969.
Located at number 277
(now a grassy gap next to Hugh Street), it had a large
painted gate on the side elevation with the pub name
and Hammonds Ales.
The Rose & Crown, continue back into town centre along High Street West on the same side where Bakers Solicitors is now.
The first pub in Glossop to be built by a brewery (Royds of Sheffield) about 1854. Also known as Holly's and Roxy's Music Bar for a time.
The Britannia Inn, again back into town centre but on the other side of the road where the Courtyard kitchens shop is now.
Built about 1832 and its license expiring in 1924.
Built about 1837, sold to the Modern Dairy Company in 1931 and finally demolished in 1994.
At the time a vibrant Irish community who sought work in the cotton mills and as stone masons in the building boom of the mid 19th century. The majority of these beer houses succumbed to the 1904 Compensation Act.
The White Lion Inn, was another beer house on Chapel Street where the Labour Club stands now, it closed in 1935.
The Brook Tavern, go out of the town centre, across Victoria Bridge and up the hill a bit.
Originally built in 1832 by Charles Calvert and known as The Albion and more recently known as The Trap, The Last Orders and now The Brook Tavern.
The Surrey Arms, head out of the town centre and up Victoria Street, past Bodycheck (formerly Littlemoor Congregation Church, a Grade II listed building) and round the corner.
Built in 1846 by James Robinson and probably named after the Earl of Surrey. A Boddington's pub until 1995 when acquired by the Greenall brewery.
The Crown Inn, cross over Victoria Street to what CAMRA describe as one of the most important historic pub interiors in the country.
A Samuel Smith's traditional mid twentieth century public house interior of individual rooms, open fires and the odd dog. A must see.
One of the oldest pubs in Glossop, dating from 1799 when John Wagstaffe was the alehouse licensee, although somewhat larger than it was in those days with a modern interior.
Mechanic's Arms, continuing out of the town centre on the same side, where Regency Close is now.
Built in 1831, Jordan Hampson was the licensee, it was bought by the Borough of Glossop in 1953 and used for residential use, the Public Health Inspector considered it to be in very poor condition in 1971 and it was demolished, probably with a number of other houses in this row.
Swan Inn, continuing out a little further and across the road to number 78, next to the computer shop.
A beerhouse in 1837, Charles Band tried unsuccessfully several times to get an alehouse licence, in 1862 it was called the Swan with Two Necks and bought by Boddingtons brewery in 1888, it succumbed to the Compensation Act in December 1909.
Built in 1852 by a saddler named William Kelsall. It remained a beerhouse until 1960 when a Full Licence was granted. A Bass house and later a Marston's house.
That concludes this Ghost Pub Trail and Heritage Trail, we hope you enjoyed it, please comment below.